Cornwall’s care and support services available during lockdown

Residents are urged to contact Cornwall Council for support with any equipment that helps them to live independently. They are also reminded to keep an eye on their vulnerable neighbours in case of any safeguarding concerns.

Anyone who currently uses equipment issued by Cornwall Council’s Community Equipment Loan Service (CELs), or a ‘Lifeline’ device, a service which helps to monitor people’s movements and send help in an emergency, can still contact the council if there is a problem with their equipment or to request new equipment to support them to live independently.

The council is also encouraging people to be aware of signs of abuse of vulnerable adults which could be more easily hidden and perhaps go unnoticed while people are self-isolating.

All of these services can be accessed while observing social distancing measures.

Cornwall Council portfolio holder for adults, Rob Rotchell said: “I understand that people may think that services are not running as normal at the moment but equipment that helps people to live independently in their own homes is considered an essential service and it’s important that people are still able to use that equipment safely.

“Sometimes all it can take is a simple phone call with one of our technicians who can assess what the issue is and help the customer to rectify it, if a home visit does need to take place we will take all necessary hygiene measures and use PPE where appropriate. People can also isolate themselves in another room while the visit takes place.

“It’s very important that we consider our vulnerable neighbours, family and friends at this time. Vulnerable people can be more at risk of abuse, be that physical, psychological, financial or sexual so if you are concerned about someone, please call our Access team who can investigate the matter further.”

For enquiries about community equipment – whether that’s to collect items that are no longer needed or to see about fixing a broken piece of kit then please call 01208 269716.

For help with our Lifeline service, if the equipment isn’t working properly or you’d like to find out more about how this service could help then you can find out more on the council’s website,

To report a safeguarding concern then please call our Access team on 0300 1234 131 (Choose option 3).

Added on 12/05/2020, in News - General News

Google Translate

Text Size

Change font